Definition of Motivation:
A Motive is an impulse that causes a person to act. Motivation is an internal process that makes a person move toward a goal. Motivation, like intelligence, can’t be directly observed. Instead, motivation can only be inferred by noting a person’s behavior
FACTORS AFFECTING TEACHERS MOTIVATUION AT UNIVERSITY LEVEL:
Compensation packages offered to teachers in HEIs needs to be made suitable in accordance with the qualification, abilities experience of a teacher and market rates, etc.
2). Job design and working environment:
Teachers ‘jobs need to be designed properly. The workload on teachers should not be higher that leads to de-motivation. There should be a learning environment for teachers in HEIs and administration should try maximum to treat their teachers ‘with respect and without any discrimination.
3). Performance management system:
Managers and administrators in universities should implement contemporary performance management system to appraise achievements and accomplishments of their teaching staff here 360-degree feedback system is much more important where students ‘feedback should be given a proper weightage to appraise teachers ‘performance)
4) Training and development:
In the dynamic environment of today world teachers ‘training is very important to enhance their knowledge, skills and to give them confidence to compete in the industry. Moreover, teachers in higher education should be provided with maximum opportunities of career development so that they could enhance their qualifications and abilities to remain effective for the institution.
5 SUGGESTIONS FOR THE TEACHERS WHO ARE DE-MOTIVATED DUE TO LOW SALARY PACKAGE AND BAD WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
1) Appreciation from the concerned authority, management of the institute.
2) Respect from administration and students.
3) Motivational training or in-service training to enhance teaching skills
4) They must be paid incentives for any extra task which they are performing for the organization.
5) They should learn to manage working with them , avoiding arguing and complaining rather they plead to enhance their professional skills, because if they become skilled in their fields that creates motivation for them.